Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Open Letter to Rep. Jean Schmidt (R-OH) Regarding New Her Comment Questioning Obama's Citizenship

Traveling prevented me from attending the local tea-party event at the Voice of America Park in West Chester this weekend, but it looks like ThinkProgress was able to capture a fun moment between a birther and Rep. Jean Schmidt (R-OH). As you will see by this video, they were able to capture Schmidt agreeing with this woman before staffers tried to block the ThinkProgress cameras:



As ThinkProgress pointed out, Loveland Magazine obtained a statement from Schmidt in July of this year in which she stated:

“The President is indeed a Citizen of this country. I voted as a Member of the House to certify the vote of the Electoral College electing him as our President. I may not agree with his politics but there is no doubt he is our President and has my full respect as such.”


Will the real Jean Schmidt please stand up?

UPDATE: I have sent an open letter to Rep. Schmidt through her campaign website requesting clarification. The text of the letter is below and I will post any response that I receive in full.

from: Chris Johnson
to: answers@jeanschmidt.com
date: Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 5:37 PM
subject: OPEN LETTER: Clarification on Rep. Schmidt's Position Requested

Good afternoon,

This past July in Loveland Magazine, Rep. Schmidt was quoted as saying the following regarding the citizenship of President Obama:

“The President is indeed a Citizen of this country. I voted as a Member of the House to certify the vote of the Electoral College electing him as our President. I may not agree with his politics but there is no doubt he is our President and has my full respect as such.”

However, this previous Saturday, at the Voice of America Rally in West Chester, Rep. Schmidt was videotaped by ThinkProgress saying the following while interacting with an attendee:

WOMAN: "He cannot be a President by our Constitution"

REP. SCHMIDT: "I agree with you but the courts don't"

You can view the video by clicking on this link. Given that these statements are contradictory in nature, I am requesting clarification on Rep. Schmidt's position regarding President Obama's Constitutional authority to hold the Office of the Presidency. Does Rep. Schmidt agree with the position which she expressed in Loveland Magazine? If so, then why did she express the opposite position while speaking with the woman in the video clip above?

I appreciate your time in clarifying this matter and I look forward to your prompt response.

Sincerely,
--
Chris Johnson
[email]
The Cincinnati Beacon
http://www.cincinnatibeacon.com


UPDATE: Rep. Jean Schmidt (R-OH) has released a statement through her office. That statement is as follows:

Washington, D.C. - “The President is indeed a Citizen of this country and constitutionally qualified to be President of the United States. I may not agree with his politics but there is no doubt he is the President and has my full respect. The video clip being circulated by some is part of a longer conversation with a woman who was very upset about a number of things. I, in no way, agree with her belief that President Obama is not a citizen of the United States. I did agree with her view that the constitution should be strictly interpreted. I was trying to be kind to a woman who was trying desperately and passionately to express her views. She has the right to her beliefs, no matter how much I disagree with them.”


While this statement was aimed at providing clarification of Schmidt's remarks in the video posted above, it is odd that Schmidt's defense is that she was "trying to be kind" to a woman who was trying to express her views. It appears that Schmidt's way of being kind to people is to tell them that she agrees with their views, even when she doesn't.

No comments: